We all know the famous saying "Liar Liar Pants On Fire".
We also all know that a lot of lawyers can stretch the truth.
One lawyer in Florida found out the hard way of how that saying came true to life.
The Miami Herald reports Stephen Gutierrez, a 28-year-old defense lawyer, was giving closing arguments when smoke began billowing from his right pocket. Even worse, this happened during an arson trial in which he was arguing his client's car spontaneously combusted.
He left the courtroom immediately and got treated.
When hee came back, he insisted it wasn’t a staged defense demonstration gone wrong, observers said.
Turns out, it was a faulty battery inside his e-cigarette.
The Miami Herald made repeated calls to Gutierrez’s cellphone that went unanswered. Miami-Dade police and prosecutors are now investigating the episode. Officers seized several frayed e-cigarette batteries as evidence.