Last week, dog owners tragically lost their three dogs after they unknowingly let them play in a pond in Wilmington, North Carolina that had blue-green algae growing in it. They algae produces a toxic substance called microcystin and Melissa Martin and Denis Mintz' two terriers and doodle mix fell ill shortly after playing in the pond and all died within 24 hours.
The blue-green algae has now been found in Montgomery County, Maryland in two lakes. Warning signs were posted by the M-NCPPC at Lake Frank and Lake Needwood, both in Derwood, MD. The signs convey the danger of the substance produced by blue-green algae and warn that people and pets should refrain from coming into contact with the water.
The signs will remain posted until the water has been thoroughly evaluated and deemed to be safe.